Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Altec 407-8a?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 407-8a?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Altec 407-8a?

    Amybody familiar? Figure whitebroncoii is the go to guy here...

    They don't look bad, just a basic little speaker... my brother just got a gazillion of them, well maybe only half a gazillion...

    I'm thinking if could get a cool weekend, maybe making some sawdust...

    I have a single 416 sitting. I was thinking of doing 5.1 in the TV room, just stereo now...

    So just maybe go nuts and build 5 boxes with these and a mono woofer with the 416?

    Wouldn't cost me a dime. Got wood, my brother always owes me, and got the 416.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 407-8a?

    Just convince the readhed the movie room needs can lights for ambiance and "Ooops, I cut 4 too many holes baby".
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 407-8a?

    Let's see, a 4x8 sheet of plywood divided by 8" on center is 4 x 12 or 48 (or maybe just 33) speakers per sheet. Equalize the hell out of 96 of them and you would have a wall of sound.
    Last edited by VolvoHeretic; August 5th, 2011 at 09:38 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 407-8a?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 407-8a?

    I remember the old "sweet sixteen"...but a "sweet 48" sounds crazy...

    Willing to bet pics posted to the net would make it into a TON of forums though...


    Brother is coming by tomorrow to drop a few off for me to play with...I hardly ever leave the farm anymore...got a garden, quarter mile walk to a stream full of fish...and a grocer who delivers. As I've said have become almost a hermit here...but I kinda like it...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 407-8a?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    I hardly ever leave the farm anymore...got a garden, quarter mile walk to a stream full of fish...and a grocer who delivers. As I've said have become almost a hermit here...but I kinda like it...
    I sure hope you have your altecs out on the porch and cranked up in your hermitude. I can only wait until everyone leaves the lake for the season come September 1 so I can drag my speakers out on the deck without visiting with the cops.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 407-8a?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 407-8a?

    I have a large barn...so can even fire 'em up if it's raining.

    The redhead loves movies...all I have to do is tell her how much more fun she'll have with 5.1 over stereo...

    May just bite the bullet and get a 5.1 receiver..most of the "separates" seem to be sky high for anything decent.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  7. #7
    HB Super Moderator
    Altec 407-8a?


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 407-8a?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    As I've said have become almost a hermit here...but I kinda like it...
    But it is always nice to zip around the block and shift some gears in a vintage ride once in awhile !
    Last edited by Altec Best; August 6th, 2011 at 01:53 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.